Thursday, August 22, 2013

Etching Projects

Yesterday I went to Goodwill and bought some glassware with which to get crafty. Today, I continued my crafting journey into the world of glass etching. It's a dangerous and scary place, let me tell you! Anything that warns you to use plastic gloves to protect your hands is ridiculous! But, I guess if you think about it, the etching cream is permanently changing the surface of glass, so I suppose it has to be pretty powerful (just image what it would do to your skin-ouch!)

I found out the hard way that cutting out my own stencil with a box cutter was going to be pert near impossible. So decided to try something new today- painting on the etching cream by hand. Risky, I know. Luckily, I have a pretty steady hand and eye for detail. It probably also helps that this wasn't my first time at the painting rodeo, I was an art major (briefly), after all.

My first project was the tall rectangular vase-looking-thing. (You see, the one on the far right. That one). This one was going to be pretty simple. Just an initial.

Unfortunately, my first go with this didn't work too well... I left the cream on all night; not that it makes a difference, I just wanted to be sure it was visible. Somehow the edges still turned out all wrinkly and raw looking. I was kind of disappointed- this letter "G" was so much easier to make than that milk bottle, I thought it'd be a shoe in for success. But, I guess that's the way it goes, nothing worth having is ever easy (that was deep.). So I repainted it and left it for another couple of hours to see if it would kind of fill itself out.


Below is the final product, if you can see it. Not too bad... It honestly looks better in the pictures than it does in real life but, it's ten times better than that milk bottle!



So I placed a pretty candle in it, filled in with rocks from the back yard (yay, free things!) and called it complete. I must say, it looks awfully professional in these pictures!



But! The best is yet to come! Of all the glass projects that I planned during my Goodwill hunting trip (see what I did there?), this next one was my favorite. I had designed a logo for my boyfriends farm last week and printed a black and white copy of it yesterday. Unfortunately, it was pretty intricate, so I  got discouraged when I realized the box-cutter thing wasn't going to work. After the "G" project, though, I had a pretty brilliant idea, if I do say so myself! I taped the logo to the inside of the glass and traced the type with a paint brush! Oh, my goodness! It made eyes go cooky looking at for so long as I painted but looked so promising!


Again, I left it on for longer than it probably needed but there was no way I was redoing it if it didn't show up the first time! Luckily, it looks fabulous! This is my favorite of all the glass projects I've done. The etching is still fairly light and I taped it on slightly croocked but, other than that- I could probably pass this off as professionally made! Go me! I have one more of these little vases to do, to make them a set, but, I want to give my eyes a break. Haha


No comments:

Post a Comment